Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

netlogon problem!?!?! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwilder

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2001
US
Ok,

I'm hoping someone out there will understand what happened and help me understand:

Last nite I was doing some maintenance and making location changes on the network. The most drastic change was moving the location of a network share from one server to another. I moved the company accounting share from \\thisserver\acct$ to \\thatserver\acct$. I then made the appropriate change in my logon.bat to change the share assignment so that the new location should be transparent to the users. Even though I now have Replication properly working, I went ahead and manually copied the new batch file to all my servers in the domain.

Well, I come in this morning and a couple users aren't seeing their network drive shares when they login. It starts with a couple, then more and more aren't getting their shares. So I have a minor panic attack as I begin to attempt to trouble shoot the network. I double and triple check all settings, that I haven't changed in months. I reboot the network for grins. I can't imagine where the problem is, so I copy/paste the login.bat script all over the place, then users start being able to login and see the network shares.

Throughout all this, the users were being authenticated against the domain, but the login.bat script simply wasn't processing as usual and assigning the the users to network shares.

Hope that all made sense and someone is able to give me an idea as to what happened.

Thanks. Jason Wilder
IT/CAD Manager
"When I go, I want to go in my sleep like Grandpa. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Jason, have you made sure you edited the right batch file in your repl areas... I usually edit both the import and export batch files to make sure that the settings take. If you get the wrong one it will be overwritten by what used to be there.... I can never remember which one to edit so I do both just in case...

Yeah. Like I mentioned, I didn't rely on the replication this time, I manually copied the batch file around. So I know that all the files where the same. Jason Wilder
IT/CAD Manager
"When I go, I want to go in my sleep like Grandpa. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

ive had similar problems, can someone help me w/ replication & hidden shares?

email: kenner@prodigy.net

Are those 2 servers members of the same domaun (just checking...)? Also, do you have the same admnin accnt on both servers?

There might be a case with file execute permissions on a different boxes.

Yes, they are on the same domain and I am logged into both as a Domain Admin.

It just seemed as though the users weren't seeing the logon.bat file when they were authenticated. I checked and tried everything, and it wasn't until I copied the logon.bat file into every directory under the %systemroot%\winnt\system32\repl\.... that users finally processed the logon.bat script from \\BDC\NETLOGON\logon.bat (which is where it was the whole time anyway) Jason Wilder
IT/CAD Manager

Was the logon.bat file present and correct before you did the cut and paste this morning when users weren't running the script?

Yes. The logon.bat was present in all the usual locations where it's been and users have seen it. I don't know why they suddenly weren't seing it. Jason Wilder
IT/CAD Manager

could it be that the previous mapping was permanent?

Hence the users had Z: pointint to THISSERVER and logged off. you made your changes... they logged back on and Z was still mapped to THISSERVER. However the logon.bat run and attempted to map Z: to THATSERVER but found Z already in use and NT normally goes and sticks THATSERVER on the next available drive letter so probably something like F: which you didn't notice.

Now the users try loading the accounts package with icons pointing to a defunct Z and hence doesn't work.

So disconnect the Z drive either by using a new batch file statement.. which i think goes something like net use z: /del.. but may want to check this... then stick in the next command of connect Z to the new server with a persistent flag of no... which off the top of my head is something like net use z: \\thatserver\share$ persistent:no but again check syntax.

it might not be this.. but exactly this situatio nhappened to me with a new drive letter mapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back