Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NETLOGON 5511 Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobot

MIS
Jan 11, 2002
US
After a recent nightmare re-install of my NT 4.0 Server Primary Domain controller, my Backup Domain Controller is now giving me a message about 5511 Netlogon error and that both the servers are claiming to be the Primary Domain Controller.

I have removed the BDC from the domain in server manager and then Added it to the domain again. Before this I was getting the 5513 error about re-establishing a trust.

Microsoft TechNet says re-install the BDC which I am in no mood to do right now, but I am worried the 2 claimants of PDC will conflict with each other and keep people from logging in successfully.

Please help!

Thanks!

I had this problem once and reinstalled my BDC to correct it. But if you can't do this right now you can try to demote the PDC. I think your major problem is that you have 2 PDCs.
To demote the BDC (who claims to be a PDC) follow the next steps:

1.- Stop the NetLogon service on the current PDC by typing Net Stop NetLogon .

2.- Highlight the machine name of the original PDC and then on the Computer menu, select Demote To Server . This changes the role of the original PDC to BDC.

3.- Restart the NetLogon server by typing Net Stop NetLogon .

The original PDC can be promoted to PDC in step 2, if you want. The current PDC needs to be demoted to a server immediately after this step.

If you have any problem you can also look for the document "Q167248" in the knowdledge base of the MS site.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not following the last part.

OK let's say Machine "A" is my current PDC which I re-installed and the problem machine is "B" which is a BDC but for some reason is trying to be a PDC, even though it's listed as BDC.

So you are suggesting:

1. Stop NETLOGON on "A"

2. On "A", demote "A" to "SERVER or WORKSTATION"

3. Restart NETLOGON on "A"

But now I have demote my current PDC to server and the BDC claiming to be PDC is still a BDC on the list.

What part am I missing?

Thanks!

- Bob (Bobot)

You have to do it on your BDC who claims to be your current PDC. That way the original PDC can be promoted to PDC.

Because a "stand-in" PDC was necessary while the "original" PDC was offline, changes have probably been made to the database on the stand-in computer; it will be important for it to remain the PDC while the original PDC is demoted. Successfully demoting the original PDC will also cause a synchronization with the stand-in PDC, giving it the recent changes done during its absence. Later, the original PDC can once again resume the role of PDC for the domain by simply promoting it in Server Manager.

To demote the original PDC just brought back online, use Server Manager. Under the View menu, clear the check box next to "Show domain members only." This allows a browse list to inform Server Manager that the computer is configured as a PDC, and will allow it to be demoted. Select the original PDC, and select "Demote to backup domain controller" under the Computer menu.

Check the document "Q167248" in the knowdledge base on the site please!

1) You need to promote the original BDC to become your new PDC.
2) Rebuild the original PDC as a BDC on your Domain.
3) Then Promote the newly built BDc upto a PDC. The current PDC will revert back to the BDC.
QED

Thanks all!

I have resolved this issue by re-installing the conflicting BDC while the new PDC was online.

Of course now I'm getting the expected 5513 errors from the other NT/XP workstations, but one of those is being re-installed completely today for upgrade reasons so the only issue I'm left with is one NT 4.0 workstation giving me 5513 errors on the event logs on the PDC and BDC.

This machine is really not even logging into the domain, so maybe playing with the domain/workgroup name and removing it from the list in server manager will fix it?

Thanks all!

- Bob (Bobot)

I have also resolved the 5513 issue for the NT 4.0 Workstation by doing what Microsoft said in Q150963

Thanks!

- Bob (Bobot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back