Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netgear Router trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidPaul

Programmer
Jun 24, 2000
GB
At work I've just finished installing a router that is supposed to share a Tele2 (Broadband) connection between 7 computers.

I've set up the Tele2 settings on the router, and the network configuration on all the PCs are set to use the router. Yet Internet explorer and Outlook will not see the connection, although MSN Messenger does!!

Any suggestions anybody??

I am having the exact same problem... Can share files between the two computers, can log into MSN Messenger, can ping IPs, but couln't go to a web site if my life depended on it. I checked my DNS settings a hundred times and am all out of ideas.

How did you solve this problem?

Hey

I had a similar problem but with different devices.

Check the ptoxy server settings on the browser and make suere that there is nothing selected. Make sure that do automatically detect settings is not ticled as well.

If you need mre specific info let me know.

Yeah, checked those two and they were clear. I couldn't even ping in MS DOS though. I also tried out several different DNS servers on the router. Nothing worked.

Anyways, I gave up :) Returned the thing and went back to using a hub.

I managed to sort the problem out a few months back. What it turned out being was that the router was not keeping it's setings.

I am about to buy an XRouter Pro MIH-130A to connect a Mac G4 and a Dell 4400 PC to a cable modem. The service is road runner from time warner/nyc. Should I buy this router? To have both units online at the same time will a simple hub do just as well?

DavidPaul: How did you get the router to keep it's settings? Every time I'd check the router settins on mine, they were still there.

----

Ptah1: I am using a simple hub to connect both of my computers to my DSL. They can connect independent of another, either the one, or the other, or both at the same time. Didn't have to set one computer as a server either. I just plugged the modem into the hub's uplink and the computers into separate ports and it has been working fine for a year now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back