Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netgear Password Reset Failed - Can't Log In Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

damaeus

Technical User
Dec 3, 2010
US
I decided to reset the main login password of my Netgear router to something 55 characters long, just a chaotic string of letters (uppercase and lowercase) and numbers. I typed the password into a text editor and pasted it in both the regular and confirmation password fields. Then I was asked to log back in. I pasted the password again, but authentication failed.

What the heck is going on here? I pasted the password on a second line in my text editor and it's identical. What do you think went wrong? IT's a little TOO secure now.

I tried to edit the last message to add that it's the Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (WNDR3700).

I'm guessing that it might not accept some characters, maybe no uppercase. If all else fails, find the reset button, reset your login details and try again with a modified version of the passphrase.

Keep it easy to remember but nothing that could be found with a dictionary attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back