Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netgear FVS318 and Small Business Server2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrenzo

Technical User
May 29, 2003
GB
Hi all.
Don't know if this post should be in another forum, aplologies in advance if this is the case.

I have a Netgear FVS318 and Small business Server2003 running ISA Server (Internet Security and Acceleration Server). In order to get all the 'goodies' in SBS2003, I think I am going to have to essentailly turn off the firewall capabilities of the FVS318 and allow ISA Server to act as the network firewall (it is installed on a server with 2 network cards, one connected to the router the other connected to the LAN).
I need advice. Should I enable all ports on the router to forward to the Server? Or should I place the Server in the DMZ. If I place the server in the DMZ then I am unsure how remote devices will 'see' it as it has a local IP Address (192.168.xxx.xxx) not a 'real' internet IP address.

The setup is for as company who want their remote uses to be able to access email, the servers sql server and access files on the network using a variety of devices (Blackberrys, laptops PCs you name it). Small Business Server comes with a variety of mobile and remote features. To me it would seem that you must 'trust' ISA server to handle all the firewall/vpn stuff in order to access these features.

Has anyone else used a FVS318 and SBS2003/ISA Server and successfully used the VPN client stuff on SBS??
I am open to suggestions if you think my approach is not the best way to achieve the desired results.

Thanks in advance

Realistically, you don't need the FVS318.

Connect the 'outside' interface of the SBS server to the router. Make sure it has your public IP address. Most ISP's give you a block of at least 5 with the circuit install.

ISA server is a firewall. As long as it's enabled on SBS and properly configured, you're fine.

If your want added protection (and added complexity)...
You can connect the FVS318 to the router and put the external interface of the SBS on the DMZ.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Thanks Dearingkr for your response. I was always quite sceptical about placing a small buisness server 'live' on the internet, using only ISA server as a firewall.
However, I guess plenty of businesses do it, and surely all Microsoft Software can't be flawed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back