Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netgear FVS 318 & internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tierney

Instructor
May 28, 2002
We have a netgear fvs318 router connected to the server. We have an alcatel speed touch pro 530 modem (bridged)connected to the server and router. We have a lan with ip ranges from 10.0.0.3 - 10.0.0.100. All machines in this range have lan and internet access. The server, which has an ip of 10.0.0.2 (manually configured) has lan access but no internet access. We requested a static ip from our isp, which everyone else on the lan can ping but not the server.
The VPN client software will be Netgear Pro Client.

Now can I say HELP!!!!!

Am I to understand that the server is directly plugged into the modem? How many IP Addresses do you have? Are you trying to use one for the server and one for the LAN?

From the sounds of your setup, I would think that you would want to have a single line coming out of your modem that would go into the router, and from there you would have a switch where all of the computers on your LAN would plug in (including the server).

Please give some more information about what you are trying to do with your setup and hopefully we can give some better direction. To be honest, I'm just confused about what you would like to do.

deeno

Thanks for responding. I apologise for my .. vagueness but i've just about done my head in over this.
What we're trying to acheive is to set up the VPN server, but we havent got as far as the VPN bit because we cant get internet access to the server with a static ip on the lan. When DHCP is enabled on the server, we get our internet access back. The server hosts the firms day to day software (and requires a static ip on the lan for workstations to log in)hence 10.0.0.2. The router has a static ip of 10.0.0.1.
When I set the server to use 10.0.0.2 I lose internet access for the server. All the workstations can still access the internet.
All machines are running WinXP Pro including the server.
The modem is connected to the server by usb. From there it connects to the vpn router which also has the 8 port switch built into it.
The alcatel modem has an ip of 169.254.108.19 which I cant ping from the server (ip from ipconfig /all) but all the workstations which have dhcp enabled have 10.0.0.1 as the gateway.
Setting the default gateway to either of these ips on the server dont work either. There are no software firewalls blocking it. The server is virus and spyware free. All the cabling tests okay.

Ok, think I understand your problem.

Your router is providing NAT, which translates the public 169.x.x.x address to an address in the 10.x.x.x network. If your server is not plugged into the router, then it does not use the NAT provided by the router and is thus not on the same network as the computers behind the router. You're making your setup way more complicated than it has to be.

To get this going, I suggest that you plug your server into your switch with a patch cable (ethernet cable) as you would for any of your workstations. That should be the only connection to the network on the server. You don't need to plug it into the modem with the USB cable.

If you do that then you should be able to assign the server a static address of 10.0.0.2 with a gateway of 10.0.0.1. You can configure your DNS settings and WINS settings as you need. In this setup, your router is your gateway. The setup will look like this:

Internet---Modem---Router(w/Switch)---Server/Workstations

Anyway, that will get your server onto the internet and onto the lan.

Good luck with that. As far as a VPN server, what are you planning on using??

deeno

Thanks for your reply. This has been resolved. We changed the login address (in the day to day software) from 10.0.0.2 to its actual name, enabled the server to get an ip automatically from the vpn router/firewall and everything works fine.
The netgear router will act as the server and we'll use the netgear client software to connect.
Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back