Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netgear DG814 - CHAP Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

BionicJohn

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
I've been away on holiday for well over two weeks. When I returned home, I fired up the PC but no internet connection.

I rebooted everything, but still no connection. I've now rebooted the router and the PC many times.

Everything checks out - there's no problem accessing the Netgear on or pinging the other PCs, the router WAN connection is made and the light is on (disconnecting the phone line turns it off and on re-connection it finds it a few moments later, the Netgear setup identifies the protocol correctly, asking for my U/N and P/W and prompting a reboot.

The Log keeps coming up with "CHAP : Error" which I don't fully understand - it does prevent the login though. And yes, my U/N and P/W are correct!

I've also checked all the phone wiring in the house, and it's fine.

I've tried to contact my ISP via the phone but the lines are engaged. I've also found an old 56K modem and e-mailed them, but no reply. (There's no problem with modem access other it's slow.)

I'm trying to work out if my ISP has a fault, or my router (now probably obsolete) is dying.

Whaddya think?

LIVERPOOL FC - FA Cup Winners 2006.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

SJD
I don't suppose by any strech of the imagination you took a copy of the settings when they did work ??
You could restore from them.

If not, try doing a factory reset and re-inputting the details (taking note of ip address etc etc if you don't have a copy .... though I'd take a backup BEFORE doing this anyway !!)

HTH

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

I had a screen-capture of the settings, done the factory reset, re-installed the firmware and even tried alternative DNS settings. I'm now doing a rain dance, lighting joss sticks and looking for the hammer…

I'm going to try another router if I can find one.

If that doesn't fix it, then I'll be shouting at UKRTC.

I've never seen a CHAP Error before.

Ta for your help.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

SJD

I'd definately be shouting, IIRC you get CHAP errors when your account has been locked, so it may well be nothing to do with the router, but all to do with UKRTC

[cheers]

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

I'm not getting far with the shouting - the helpline seems permanantly busy - "All our assistants are busy; please call later or leave a messages at the tone".

I've emailed twice and left messages on the answerphone, but surprise surprise, no response.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

I've determined that all my kit is fine. My ISP has gone AWOL.

I found this on ADSL.org.uk:

"What is the bt_test login?"

A generic login exists that will work even if your ISP login refuses to work, or your ISP is offline. Also if you are experiencing intermittent problems with your connection, it's good to check with this test login, the login bypasses your ISP totally.

The login is:
Username = bt_test@startup_domain
Password = (ignored)

Once authenticated, you can browse to a single site,
" which currently consists of a single graphic image.

For people with static IP's or NON-NAT setups, depending on how you've configured your ADSL modem you may need to change other settings to browse to the website. Users with USB and PCI modems should have no problems.
I have now threatened my ISP with trading standards.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

My Broadband connection is active again - as mysteriously as it disappeared…

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back