Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netframework 1.1 SP1 will not stop updating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackdashack

Technical User
Mar 24, 2009
US

I keep getting this update reminder on my netbook XP to update Netframework 1.1 SP1. As far as I see it's already there, unless this is a new update for it. Please, no reminders XP is not longer supported. In fact, there is a small simple hack to get updates until 2019. And it's been working for me and 2 other XP machines.

However I try to install it and it doesn't install. Some other place said delete it and try the update. I can't even delete it. Windows will not allow me. So for the present I have shut off Updates and hid the Security icon on the tasktray that trys to bug me.

Anyone know how to resolve this issues or point me where it's discussed for a resolution. Many places I have gone just yak about it and hit and miss. I've found no real solving. I have even gone to the MS Update website and told update to forget about this, do not remind me. That's doesn't work! Thanks for any suggestions. ":-\

I guess if you hacked your XP machine to do updates until 2019, it should be noted that that is not a Microsoft supported situation and you might have some strange things happening as a result. This may be one of them.

And yes, Windows XP is no longer supported. Could not resist.

And now for something constructive. Did you see this? Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thanks! And I forgive your weakness to temptation to admonish me. I've learned to ignore them while still enjoying my 3 good running Xp's along with my HP 8.1 machine. But your answer is my answer too. This problem I have, explained at the link you gave, was present way back in 2012 (if you look at that date there) when XP was still supported so it's nothing connected to the hack. Also, consider, if there are updates to XP until 2019 they must be put out by MS for some reason. And in fact they are. Some corporates or government entities pressed them to give them until 2019. While it was not for the general public they are there for those that pressed them for the extra time. Other than this other pre-shutdown problem all has been smooth sailing with updates. But still, thanks so very much. I do not know why when I asked for an email update there was not one from this forum. I keep having to check back but that's fine too. G'day to you. Jack ":-D

What does it show in C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log

Try manual download of the update and install it manually.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

The hack (at least the only one that I am aware of) works by making your copy of XP pretend to be Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 (which is based on the earlier XP Embedded) but which is a different product. So it does not get the same patches as regular XP would have got, and none of the ongoing WEPOS patches are tested against regular XP whatsoever before release. So there is no guarantee that they'll all work, nor that there is a small chance applying them will cause your copy of XP to malfunction.

And this support to 2019 is nothing to do with the additional support purchased by large organisations, which for very large sums of money (£5.5m for the British Government, which got them an extra 12 months support only) only covers critical security updates.

As goombawahoo has suggested, have you tried a manual download and install to see if this cons Windows Update into being quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back