Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netfinity 7100 system standby -- possible?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joed2k

Technical User
Apr 13, 2004
US
Does anyone know if it is possible to configure a Netfinity 7100 (8666-1RY)to go into STANDBY and to enable any type of WAKE-ON-LAN feature?
Not that it matters (I think), but my setup is Quad 550 Xeons, 1GB RAM, ServeRAID-4H with OS on 2 internal 9.1GB RAID 1, data on EXP200 w/6 external 9.1GB drives RAID 5E, 1 logical drive for each.
I've not been able to find any specific info on this question on IBM's website. I've seen a couple of references to WAKE-ON-LAN option cards, but the matrix was unclear as to whether or not it would work in the 8666-1RY.

After loading Win2K server, POWER OPTIONS under Display Properties does not give the System standby option (it is grayed out). I also have not found any settings in BIOS referring to power options.

I'm trying to save some power with these beasts, if that's possible.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
TIA.

System Standby and Wake-On-LAN are two completely different operations. Typically, servers do not support standby, given the assumption that you will usually want the server to be running. Wake-On-LAN is a function of the Ethernet controller to power on (wake) a system that is not running across the network (LAN). Some applications of WOL are for remote installation of the Operating System, BIOS updates, etc. The onboard Ethernet chipset for the 7100 is AMD-based and does not support this function, although the server may with an add-in Ethernet controller, but I get the impression that this is not really what you are seeking. The Netfinity 7100 also has an onboard Advanced Systems Management Processor, that when interconnected to an ASM PCI/RSA/RSA II controller via the RS-485 bus, supports remotely powering the system on or off via IBM's Systems Management applications - either the web-based interface to the ASM PCI/RSA/RSA II or IBM Director's MPA Tool.

Thanks for the response.
Maybe it would be better if I explained what I'm TRYING to accomplish. If my terminology is not correct, I apologize. I'm new to the machine and servers in general, in case you hadn't noticed.
First off, the setup is probably a bit of overkill for the application, but we got a good deal on the entire setup (server, RAID controller, UPS, EXP200, rack, etc).
Basically, I'm looking to save power on the overnights and weekends. This unit will not be in a 24/7 environment, so the ability to have it go into standby (?) when it's not being accessed and then to come back out of standby (?) when resources are requested would be highly beneficial, energy-wise.
We're looking to use the system as a file and email server during normal business hours with a possible VPN for off hours.
If there is another way to do what I'm looking for, I would be forever grateful for any hints, tips, links, direction or whatever.

BTW, the unit came with Netfinity Manager, which is not compatible with Win2K. Can I use Netfinity Director on this unit (it is now out of warranty), and if so, do you know of any version requirements and whether or not there is a free download available?

Thanks again.

OK, now I understand what you want. My two cents on a means to accomplish what you seek are to confirm the server supports Wake-On-LAN (WOL) - I'm pretty sure it does, since Netfinities older than it do, then add a "ServerProven" Ethernet adapter that supports Wake-On-LAN. Here's the link for IBM's ServerProven Compatibility site for the 7100 Ethernet Adapters:
Once installed and configured, download and install IBM Director Agent (IBM Director supercedes Netfinity Director - name change with the newer versions) on the server - you are correct Netfinity Manager doesn't support W2K and is out of life (no Support). The current (and highly recommended) version is v4.12 and it's available from:
You will need to install IBM Director Server on a different machine. Once the Director Server has discovered, inventoried, and can manage the Agent, you can use the built-in Scheduler Task to automatically (and gracefully) shut down the server in the evening and to start it up in the morning (via the WOL adapter). Of course, if you decide to use the server for a VPN host, the shutdown/restart will have to be canned.

This is of course a very high-level overview of how you can use IBM Director, but I strongly encourage you to read the product documentation as it is capable of much more, and planning your IBM Director deployment and management strategy requires some thought. Common pitfalls include not having all the requisite device drivers (ASMP) and services (SNMP for example) installed beforehand, and if the managed Agents reside in a remote subnet, configuring Relay Agents (at the Director Server), opening router ports, etc. to facilitate IBM Director traffic.

Good luck and have fun!

If you are going to be using this as a VPN and email server why would you want it shut down or in a standby mode? If it is just sitting there idle the savings in electic would be minimal at best.

Thank you for some very valuable information.
I was looking into Director today and finally found the link.
I had looked at the Server Proven matrix a few days ago and couldn't find any 10/100 ethernet adapters that specified WOL. The only thing that does is a token ring, and that won't help me. I suppose I'll try calling IBM to see what they've got.
You've given me a lot to chew on, and I suppose I'll be learning in the next week or so (and reading) about double what I've learned in the past two weeks.

While I have your attention, let me ask for some advise.
I have a total of 9 drives, 9.1 gig each. I presently have three in the box, two (Array A, logical disk 1, RAID 1, Win2K Server) and one as a hot swap. These are all on Channel 2 of the ServeRAID-4H.
The balance are in an EXP200 (Array B, logical drive 2, RAID 5E). Three are on channel 3 & three are on Channel 4 of
the ServeRAID-4H.
Would I do just as well putting them all in the box?
I'm figuring I'm better off using separate channels for redundancy, but it is a bit of extra power that maybe I don't need to use.

Well,thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions in such detail. It is truly appreciated and very helpful.

JoeD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back