Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NETFINITY 5600 BOOT PROBLEM ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulopadrao

Technical User
Nov 19, 2005
PT
Hi i have one problem, most of the time when i a, booting the server on the morning i get this error "1962 Drive does not contain a valid boot record" . This server don´t have any RAID controller . I have 4 drives on the tower, witch are controlled by the internal SCSI AIC 78xx. The hard disks are installed on the folowing order :
1- Boot disk ID-0
2- Disk 2 ID-2
3- Disk 3 ID-4
2- Disk 4 ID-8

What i seen is when the server starts founding the disks on this order the system always starts ok.

But most of the times it start from the last disk and change the SCSI IDS .
So it will be like that.
1- Disk 1 ID-9
2- Disk 2 ID-5
3- Disk 3 ID-4
2- Disk 4 ID-3.
Why is the sever changing the scsi scanning order ???
Is there any think i can change on the controller?
Let remind again if the server starts scanning the disks from the top to down it will boot ok, cause the windows nt is isnttaled on the first disk .When he starts from down to up it will not boot . So i keep retarting until he remenber the correct order .

Any ideas
Many thanks
Paulo Azevedo

This machine has a sensor in the same location as the power button that senses if the machine is in a tower or rack configuration and reorders the scsi IDs accordingly. You need to clean that sensor because that is what is causing the drive IDs to be be reordered. Taking the front cover off and blowing out that area usually clears that.

Thanks for the idea. But after i clean this sensor and mount all again the problem is the same :(
Is anything more i can do ?? Is there any BIOS setting i should check ??
Please reply with some new ideas to solve this problem .

All the Best
Paulo Azevedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back