Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netfinity 5500, Type 8660-11U - - SCSI Disks Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

huta

MIS
Feb 2, 2004
CA
Hello all,

I bought this server and wonder if someone could help me getting the SCSI HDDs to work with the on-board RAID controller.

The server comes with 2 X 4.51 IBM Drives. I have just purchased 6 X 4.2 HP drives on e-Bay and was told that they should work with any server.

I have downloaded the softwares (ServeRAID 6.1.1) to configure the RAID controller; however, it does not seem to recognize the HP drives at all. Is it true that this particular server will only work with 4.51 IBM drives or 9.1, 18.2 etc... The 4.2 is considered incompatible with it?
I made the the assumption that all SCSI drives should work with this server. I hope that I am wrong as these drives are not returnable!!

I have no problem configuring the 4.51 IBM drives and managed to load Win2000 as well. I used 2 X 4.51 and 1 X 9.1 as the hot spare and every thing seems to be functioning OK.

I checked the IBM website but did not find anywhere showing that this server will support 4.2 drives.

Thanks...

Just mentioning the obvious...

If the drives are not SCA (single connector adapter), I doubt they would allow themselves to be inserted all the way into the hot-swap bay, but I've never tried so I just don't know. If they aren't SCA, they aren't compatible at all with the hot-swap bays.

They can be mounted in either, or both, of the 5.25" bays on the left-hand side of the face, but they won't be hot swappable at all. You'll need to connect the Channel-2 cable (which is shipped from IBM folded up and strapped down beneath the motherboard tray).

If the drives are SCA and are not responding at all, you should look up all of the jumper settings for the particular model drives you have. Confirm that the settings match the IBM drives you have exactly.

Good luck.

David@Dimarc.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back