Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netfinity 5500 Shows Chip LED, Beeps 3-3-2 After Wrong Bios Flashed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscarb

Technical User
Apr 26, 2004
US
We have a bare bones Netfinity 5500 M20 with one CPU and one SCSI hard drive (it's kind of a trainer). Yesterday, the BIOS was flashed, and the system "died" on reboot. I think it was flashed with the BIOS from a newer model 5500.

Anyway, on reboot, it performs the following steps:

o the hard drive LED illuminates (temporarily)
o the CDROM clatters a bit
o a computer chip icon LED illumintates
o the system beeps 3-3-2

There seems to be absolutely no floppy disk activity and the monitor never activates (the monitor power light never shifts from orange to green--so no video). Without the video, I cannot tell if it is displaying any error messages. And without a chance to boot from the floppy, I cannot flash the BIOS back.

As you can guess, I am looking for a fix. Is there a way to drop the BIOS back, or reset the system, or get the system to boot from a floppy, etc? Thanks very much.

The latest BIOS that the 5500M20 (8662) should be flashed to is v1.06 (downloadable filename 24p1821.exe). The onboard ASMP should also be flashed to v2.12 (downloadable filename 06p4626.exe). If you did not use these files, you can move the ROM page jumper <J30> from the default pins 2-3 to pins 1-2, then reflash the BIOS with the correct diskette. The Beep code you mention 3-3-2 refers to a critical SMBus error and the corrective action is to remove power from the server for 30 seconds (to reset the ASMP). If that does not correct it, then take a look in the System Error Log for the first error and take approriate actions for that fault.

Thank you most sincerely for providing this information. It worked. I appreciate your taking time to help.

I am having the exact same problem with my Netfinity. I've done the J30 switch, but it's still doing the same thing as before, just gives a black screen and I can't do anything at all. Does anyone have any other suggestions for things that I can try to get it back up and running?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back