Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netfinity 5100 VRM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimar3

Technical User
Sep 8, 2006
CA
Hi,

I have a problem with IBM Netfinity 5100 server.
It can work for several minutes or few hours. Then it shows VRM LED error and it freezes, or when I reboot and that error is on, it reports that the 2nd CPU is not functional. I tried to swap the two CPUs and the same thing happens. Lately I wanted to install Win2k3 and during the installation the machine just shuted down.

I replaced the VRM with a new one, it worked for couple of hours and the Win2k3 installation went fine. But then started doing the same thing with VRM error and 2nd CPU not functional all over again. I have the latest BIOS and firmware from IBM website.

I checked the CPUs and they weren't overheating. The CPU closer to the power supply is cold and the 2nd CPU is a warm, so it's not overheating problem.

Could it be the motherboard or power supply? Or maybe something else?

Thanks.

It could be the system board since you have already replaced the VRM. Are you sure you are using the correct VRM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back