Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netfinity 5100 not booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crasty

MIS
Jun 30, 2003
US
I think I know the answer to this, so I'm just looking for verification, though I do have a question in there.. I didn't build or install the server, but it was previously functional. Yesterday, we had a big power failure. The server now will not start, the exclamation light on the front blinks, and when I pop the case the ps2 and ps3 lights are on. If I hit power with the case open, the fan spins for a second, and the lights briefly turn on. It seems to be a failed power supply.

I do have 2 power supplies in the bays, and here is the question, do both need to be functional to start the server?

If anyone knows this is not a power supply issue, please let me know.

Thanks!!
Crasty

First, I recommend disconnecting the server from power for a few minutes (to reset the Service Processor). Then connect power, wait 10 seconds then see if the <!> on the front panel is still lit. Also, are the LightPath LEDs for the power supplies still lit? If not, you're in good shape (lucky). To answer your question specifically, it depends. The power supplies are rated at 250W. If you have a minimal configuration that requires less that 250W, then only one is necessary, and the other is for redundancy. If your configuration's power requirements exceed 250W, the you would need a third power supply to have full redundancy. Good luck. BTW, it they are toasted, the replacement part number (FRU) is 36L8819.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back