Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netfinity 5000: SCSI Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ServerNoobie

Technical User
Jan 26, 2004
US
I am having some problems w/ my IBM Server. For reference, it is dual PIII server w/ a ServeRAID 3H
RAID controller. The BIOS is Adaptec 7895 v2.0, and the ServeRAID BIOS is v6.11.07. -I am new to servers and
am trying to learn as much as possible...however, there are a few things that I can't seem to fix:

-Immediately following power-on, I receive a message that states "no boot drive found...SCSI bios not installed"
I am currrently running windows xp pro and it works just fine. There are no error messages logged in the server manager program. Any ideas?

-I just installed an Exabyte HH CTS 8mm internal tape drive, but the system will not recognize it. It has power and is connected to the internal controller (w/ a terminated cable) but will not appear in the scsi utility at all.

-In my device manager, there is an "unknown device" that is listed as being on "ServerWorks Champion Southbridge 4" What is this? -I believe that it appeared shortly after I updated the system bios.

Thanks for any and all help!

Not knowing the server you have:

1. The message you recieve is for the on board scsi adapter,just telling you that there is no boot device on that chain. which is true if your hard drives are on the raid adapter. this is normal.

2. you should check the jumpers on the drive, set scsi id to 4. if you are using a terminator on the cable make sure it is after the drive,and that the resister packs if it is an older drive,have been removed. test in another system that has scsi to make sure the drive works.

3. this is the south bridge of the server system board chipset. check the website for an updated system board driver. it controls your ide,usb,pci,depending on the chip,it could control others as well. most likely this is causing the tbu to not be found also.

Rich

The error makes sense considering you've added a ServeRAID controller and it's installed in Slot 1-4 of the server. The 5000 hits Slot 5 before the onboard SCSI controller on the PCI scan, so for performance, the RAID controller should be installed in Slot 5 and the onboard SCSI BIOS should be disabled (via ctrl+A), but since a tape device is attached, select DISABLED:Scan Bus. The unknown device is most likely the onboard Advanced Systems Management Processor (ASMP). There is not an XP driver for this device (it's a server that normally runs Network Operating Systems), but you may be interested in trying the 2003 driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back