Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netfinity 5000: Dying? Bios acting funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

utoyo

Technical User
Mar 5, 2005
US
The server dropped the network connection and then when I tried to reboot it keep bringing me into the bios saying that a mouse was not installed and the memory was changed to Registered SDRAM. After powering down and temporarily removing and putting back a memory stick it, it booted. But it wouldn't work with the KVM switch, and wasn't outputting a video signal through the KVM switch. The machine is responding to network requests but can't be access from the connected equipment.

Any ideas?

I don't know about the dimm problem, but have you ever been able to bootup with the KVM attached to your Netfinity 5000? I never have. With mine, it seems the server will only boot properly if it recognizes a directly attached mouse, keyboard and monitor. If a KVM is between it and the peripherals then it boots to a BIOS error, since it can't find the mouse, etc. The only way I could use the KVM was to boot with the mouse, etc. attached and then connect the KVM setup. I'm not sure if it's the type of KVM I'm using (although I've tried two different models, with the same results), or a glitch on IBM's part.

I have been using an old Belkin KVM with this machine for quite some time and it just started acting up.
I'll try what you said and see if that is the problem.

Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back