Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netfinity 5000 bios password

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanhippie

Technical User
Mar 20, 2006
GB
I've been given a netfinity 5000, and am stuck with the admin password being locked.

In this thread thread513-736828 I guess I'm sort of hoping some one can tell me the BIOS chip he tried to unlock.

I can't do it. and Nowhere else on the Net is their any info that points to success.

The former own (who got it off ebay and probalby never had the PW) told me to just pull the CMOS battery, which didn't clear the PW but did make a CMOS confic necesssary. So I'm scuppered. unless anyones got any sugestions.

Tom

oh I should have said.
BIOS chip is benchmarq
bq4847ymt

im not sure how to fix this but i knoe there is a way...but i just wanted to tell you to be carefull i read about a guy that called ibm tech support and he told him to pull the battery and short the terminals and it killed his system....

SO BE CAREFULL WHAT ADVICE YOU DO USE

I'd go for the battery pull and leave it for as long as you can - 15 mins to about a week if poss. The theory behind this is that the cmos chips will lose their setting if the battery is removed. As for shorting the terminals - the theory behind this one is that shorting them will discharge any capacitors (that may be holding some charge and keeping the cmos memory alive) and reset the cmos faster but this may also damage some other components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back