Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

netfinity 4500r processor upgrade question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraigge

Technical User
Oct 16, 2006
I have a netfinity 8656 3ry 4500r server with 4 gig ram and one 800 mhz processor. I upgraded the processor to 933mhz fru 24p1715 processor and it is working fine. I would like to put in another 933 MHZ processor.
Is this allowed? Do I need a second VRM? I've heard there are processor kits, but I can't find any information on them on the IBM web site.
Thank you for any help
Kraig

hi,
have a look at:

If you buy optional processor at IBM, this comes with VRM,
but I belive you can buy this proc. only as spare part,
not as an option (it's old), and this is very expensive
(much more than option part, if it is possible!).

Inside document, you can see that for the 2nd processor,
you need a 2nd VRM.

bye
victor

Thank you for your great information. I called IBM and the price tag on the upgrade is beyond reason. I looked inside my server and I do not see a slot for a second VRM. But there is an error light for a second VRM.
When I put the 933 mhz processor in place of the 800 mhz processor, it seemed to increase performance. But I am wondering if I should try to find a 800mhz upgrade. Or if I should just tell the school to buy an new server.
I am using the server as a Terminal server. It works fine except when there are audio files or a lot of graphics, then the applications bog down and freeze.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Kraig

Do you find the server has high CPU usage when you see the poor performance with audio and picutres? Neither of these two are really a strong point of Terminal services so you might actually just be experiencing limiations of that.

Good luck, if you have to spend any money then I wonder if it may be a better direction to try and replace the server; not sure about over there but in NZ we can pickup ex-lease x345s etc that would be signficiantly quicker than one of those old things (no dis-respecting the 4500, we had a few of those in production for several years with no problems!)

That's what I'm afraid of. It would be bad to have the customer put out good money on a new server and then still have the problem because of terminal services.
I do see cpu usage above 50 to 60 percent running our maps program with sound and graphics and that's with just 3 users. And if the instructor loads another program, the cpu spikes to 100% which usually freezes one or more of the users.
That's a good idea to see about an ex-lease machine. I think the maps program is poorly written as are the games they run in the labs.
Thanks for your comments. If you have any other thoughts on terminal services, I'd love to hear them.
Kraig

hi Kraigge,
I am a IT professional, but I have a son, and he goes to school, and the teachers know that I work in IT, and ...

Same situation: Terminal Server, few money, ...

I have deployed many TS/Citrix projects, and also in a normal company, it is difficult to put all software packages on a TS, but a normal company is a hierarchic
environment and all pass for IT Manager: software tools and TS.
In a school, the teacher has the freedom to choose, every year a new book, with a CD inside it, that requires Java xy,
.Net yz, and so on.

We have decided to deploy a mixed solution: on TS, we put
just some programs: MS Office or OpenOffice, Internet Browser, Mathematical Programs, stop.
Other programs we continue to install locally on PC:
we have divided PC in 2 Laboratories: the best PC, have the
special programs locally installed, +RDP client; the oldest, in another room, just the RDP.

About your programs that spike cpu 100%: are they 16bit ones? Or other paricularity ?
Some programs cannot run in TS environment,
(they think that the CPU is all for them) and also a new server may have the same problems.
Look for similar applications, if possible, and test them.

However, when you centralize applications, tha fail of one server, may be critical: all is blocked: deploy the project on 2 servers: if there are few money, leave just one server going, and power-on the second on critical situation, changing ip/name, but ready to start.

ciao
vittorio

Great comments and suggestions.
We are using a virtualization Linux server with open office and thin clients. We were going to use a second Linux server with emulation for their 'must have' windows apps. But they received a donated netfinity 4500r from one of the fathers. So I am trying to make it work in their system.

I think that the MAPS program is not written to play nice in a TS environment. They sent me flash 9 which they said helped at some of the other schools. But I was not able to get it to work right. There are several schools using thin clients and Linux to save money, but many are having similar problems with MAPS.

Other apps like childcare manager, quick books etc are running fine. We have had up to 12 students taking MAPS testing without audio or graphics turned on. Only the 1st grade tests use audio and graphics. So If I can find a workaround for this, I will be out of the woods.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Kraig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back