Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

netcat binaries for SCO 5.0.6a - Urgent need for!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

josel

Programmer
Oct 16, 2001
US
Howdy!

I have come across a couple of threads where netcat is suggested to be used to print to network printers.

I downloaded a couple of binaries offered within but these binaries fail returning an error "Floating Exception" and core is dumped.

I cannot find netcat binaries anywhere online. I tried compiling but cannot.

Would truly appreciate if you can share a working binary.

Thank you all in advance!

Jose Lerebours

KNOWLEDGE: Something you can give away endlessly and gain more of it in the process! - Jose Lerebours

Have you tried here ?
ftp://ftp.aplawrence.com/pub/netcat/

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

PHV,

I had tried these and they did not work. I downloaded them and tried them again and they worked this second time around. Go figure!

However, if I try using 9101 for my second port on my JetDirect 500X model, nothing prints and the system simply hangs.

I opened port 9101 on my remote router and forwarded it to printer server. I changed PORT=9100 to PORT9101 within the model script ... What am I missing?

Thanks;

Jose Lerebours

KNOWLEDGE: Something you can give away endlessly and gain more of it in the process! - Jose Lerebours

On the hp500x (when printing from SCO, anyways), you need to have a printer attached and online on port1 before you'll be able to print to port2 or port3. I think you can change that behavior by renaming /etc/getone on the SCO box. /etc/getone is part of the snmp query SCO performs to make sure the hp500x is accessible. Sometimes it just gets in the way of printing.

Can you post the lines in your interface script where the port number (9101) is referenced?

motoslide,

That may be the reason. I have one printer and I am moving it from port to port to test.

Here are the lines where the IP and port are referenced
Code:
YOUR_PRINTER_OR_IP="my static IP at remote site"
PORT="1901"
PORTNO="1901"

Regards;

Jose Lerebours

Hello again!

I moved getone to getoneX. I also added a printer, now I have two printers on the server and I still cannot print to second port.

Thanks;

Jose Lerebours

Just for clarification:
Are you using "hpnp" or "netcat" in your interface script? You posted in an earlier thread and I referred you to SCO documentation about using "hpnp" and adding the reference to additional ports. That reference included adding the PORTNO variable near the beginning of the script, and modifying 2 additional lines later which actually passed that variable to the executable.

I am using netcat. hpnp does not allow me to create printer at all, it says I need to add printer or path to access list.

the command I am using is `netcat -h [IP Address] -p 9100`
and `netcat -h [IP address] -p 9101`

The first one works fine. The second one does not. I can also use lp command with same results.

Thanks;

Jose Lerebours

As a test, you should be able to access that printer and print using plain ol' telnet:
# telnet {ipadress} 9101 (don't include the brackets)

After that command, anything you type should end up on paper at that other end. Use CNTL-] then "quit" to exit back to the O/S shell. Any issues you may have with the router should show up here as well.

There are some printers which simply do not work well with the JetDirect. But, I'm assuming you have used the same printer on the first port.

Another tactic would be to use LPR for the additional ports. For that, you define the printer as a remote device using either:
# mkdev rlp (if it's the first such device)
or:
# rlpconf (if you already have similar devices)

In either case, you'll have to manually change the "rp=" value in /etc/printcap to either "text2" or "raw2" for the corresponding new entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back