Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbios, WINS, DNS . . . argh!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GotNoClue

MIS
Jun 18, 2002
US
I've been seeing some strange stuff at work recently. Occasionally a user will click on Start/Run and type \\server1 and the window opens showing all the shares on server1. Another user at the same time does the same thing and instead of a window with shares, he just has a blank window. If he tries \\server2 he will see the shares just fine on server2.

I break out Wireshark and try to see what the difference is. When the window opens fine with the shares displayed, my communication is over port 139. But when it doesn't display the shares, it communicates over port 135.

Does anyone have any idea why it might try using a different port? And tomorrow, it may just work okay for this user.

Do you use WINS in your network? Check the two PCs WINS settings. I think maybe the one that shows the blank screen might be missing its WINS settings or they might not be configured correctly.

I wonder if its permissions? The fact the window opens suggests the connection is there, perhaps user 2 doesn't have rights to see the shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back