Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbios vs Host name Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdsc

MIS
Jul 18, 2002
GB
Basically what is the difference between netbios and host name resolution and how do i perform this

thanks in advance

Basically host name resolution is done by a DNS server/hosts. Host name resolution resolves the names of TCP/IP resources that do not connect through the NetBIOS interface. The most common example of this is a Web browser such as Microsoft Internet Explorer. Other examples include Internet applications such as Ping, FTP, and Telnet. Many modern database and mail applications that connect using Winsock, the Microsoft Windows implementation of TCP/IP sockets, also use host name resolution. Examples of these types of applications are Outlook and Exchange.

NetBIOS name resolution is the process of successfully mapping a NetBIOS name to an IP address. NetBIOS can send a query broadcast out to resolve a name, but this is terribly inefficient. This is done via the NetBEUI Protocol in Windows.

James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James is dead on except in one thing: NetBIOS will send out a query broadcast using TCP/IP, not NetBEUI. NetBEUI is an alternate protocol to TCP/IP that isn't routable. It supports NetBIOS traffic, and was the original "camel" that carried NetBIOS traffic for IBM when they created NetBIOS. Now NetBIOS rides on a "horse" or TCP/IP. If you don't have NetBEUI loaded, which is usually the case (camels are more of a pain to take care of), a NetBIOS broadcast will go out over using TCP/IP protocols.

Typically WINS is used to keep NetBIOS based apps from having to broadcast. It serves the same purpose for NetBIOS names that DNS does for host names.

ShackDaddy

My bad you are correct ShackDaddy. I have been revieing the Net+ exam lately and it does not mention this. But I did read somewhere once before that it does use TCP/IP when NetBEUI is not installed. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back