Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbios Query trying to resolve a fqdn

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcelJ

Programmer
Jan 25, 2007
NL
Hi All,

Hopefully you can help me out with this question

Configuration: Windows XP SP2 system, configured DNS, configured WINS servers

I've made a network trace of the boot cycle of my winxp sp2 system. In the network trace i see that my pc sends a NBNS call to my wins server requesting the IP address of a host with the name "hostname.domain.domain" !!

Obviously it's trying to resolve a fqdn instead of a hostname and the response from the wins server is of course that the host cannot be found.

Can anyone tell me why my pc is trying to send a request to my WINS server with a fqdn (including the dots) instead of just requesting the hostname?

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried disabling NetBIOS of TCP/IP or modifying the binding order for your network connection. If I am not mistaken in this case Netbios over IP takes precedence. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply...

Yes, I tried disabling netbios over tcp/ip and then it doesn't do any nbns requests and it fully relies on DNS resolving. so that's absolutely correct and a very valid thought. (At the moment we are investigating the impact of disabling netbios/WINS for clients in completely)

As for the binding order I don't think it should make a difference even if it does take precedence.

I don't have anything against my pc initiating a request to our WINS servers. The thing I don't understand is why it's requesting a name which is longer then the restricted 15+1 byte for netbios hostnames and why it's even trying to resolve hostnames with dots (.) in them.

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards,
Marcel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back