Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NETBIOS Over TCP/IP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscarse

Programmer
Apr 9, 2006
CA
OK I am having a very grey moment ... given that XP Pro no longer installs NETBIOS by default, I have been installing this on a small network (6-8 machines) and using NETBIOS Over TCP/IP along with setting the workgroup to the same name to provide Peer to Peer Printer and File sharing ...

What I am struggling with is this worked with WIN2K PRO but now with a new set of WIN XP machines I am getting network delays in the order of 15 to 30 seconds on shared resources.

What I am struggling with is this;

If MS no longer install NETBIOS is it really required anymore to do Peer to Peer Sharing?

As far as I know NETBIOS is only there for legacy support. We're not running it.

Question to Lawnboy ... when you are mapping your shared drives are you using a Computer Name or are you using an ip address?

I removed the Netbios from all machines then turned off the use netbios over tcp/ip setting but could no longer resolve the \\<computer>\<sharename> resources ... also found it strange that 2 of 6 computers requested a renoot after making this change where as the remaing 4 machines didn't require a reboot.

Either way no go so I have moved back to NETBIOS ... these new machines only have one IDE controller now so it was suggested the PCI IDE controller may be causing this ... I have ordered a SATA drive to test this theory.

I'm sorry, just realized I was thinking of netBEUI. We are indeed running netbios over tcp/ip.

Apologies for misleading you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back