Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetBIOS over IP not available for Dial-up Connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structures

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2002
CA
I support several Win2k Pro laptops that get plugged in on our network and are used on the road. They are running Outlook to connect to an Exchange 5.5 server. The also have a VPN client installed to allow them to establish a VPN connection back to the home network when they are on the road.

When they use their network connection (either in the office, or if they have high speed on the road) everything works as advertised. (Right click on Local Area Connection, select properties, click on TCP/IP, click on Properties, click on Advanced, Click on WINS tab, Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP is selected).

However, when they use a dial-up connection, they can not access the Exchange server. Checking the settings again for the dial-up connection (no, it's not RAS), Right click on dial-up connection, choose properties, click on Networking tab, select TCP/IP, click on properties, click on advanced, then click on WINS tab, the screen does not show anything below enable LMHOSTS lookup. The NetBIOS over TCP/IP options don't even show up in the dialog box.

Yes, I have file and print sharing turned on.

It's obviously a NetBIOS problem. But how do I turn on NetBT on a dial-up connection to the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back