Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbios Broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagy

Technical User
Sep 23, 2002
GB
In trying to pin down a performance problem on my network I noticed the following;
If I run a network monitor on my network I see loads of Netbios broadcasts from PCs (all xp and 2000 pro) querying a server that doesn't exist anymore. Our 2000 domain was upgraded to 2003 about 3 months ago, to do the upgrade we added new 2003 servers, made them dcs, moved all the fsmo roles onto one of them. moved dns and dhcp and then demoted and removed the 2000 dcs. The netbios broadcasts are querying one of the old 2000 dcs that no longer exists and I can't figure out why. We have no WINS anymore, dhcp doesn't hand out a WINS server address. I'm stumped.

Doesn't network monitor give a clue as to what the PCs are requesting from the missing server?
Might be master browser related, else are you sure the clients don't still have a reference to the old server for WINS?

Not that I can see,network monitor lists the source mac address, the destination address is Broadcast, protocol is NBT and description is NS Query Req for servername.

I'll wonder around and check some of the PCs for any references, perhaps in the registry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back