Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbeui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf96

Instructor
Apr 9, 2001
US
The short of it...reading an technical colum for LAN computers, one a P3 Win98SE (host\firewall) and the other a P4 XP Pro. For additional seccurity. Article said to copy the Netbeui protocol from the CD (even if unsupported by Microsoft) and then: uncheck the Client Microsoft Networks and File Sharing from all the TCP\IP devices (letting it now focus on internet tasks) and checking the Client Microsoft Networks and File Sharing on Netbeui devices, letting it do the LAN file sharing.

But I don't see these devices in XP Pro (for instance Netbeui for Linksys card), like I do under Win98SE. In fact, when I click on Netbeui on network settings, the proterties button is grayed out. How would I make Netbeui and uncheck the TCP settings work as outlined above? Thanks in advance for any asistance.

You will find the bindings in the Network Connections Folder, select Advanced, Advanced settings.

If you are going the Netbui route, you need to read Scott Finney's series about using it under XP. He has several excellent bits of advice, including using the Netbui stack from Win2k (links provided in the articles) and "gotchas" to avoid in the transition. Recommended Highly:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back