Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbackup version 4.5 on Win2K System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottF

Technical User
Dec 11, 2001
US
Does anybody have any pro's or con's regarding this product for a backup solution.

Any issues with backing up systems across a LAN or problems restoring.

Thew environment that it would be used includes NetWare, NT/W2K, and Unix systems.

Issues with the solution in general, as I have heard there are issues with the older version 3.4 on W2K.

Thanks for any information that is posted.

I am running Netbackup as a Master server on Solaris (3.4) box (inside our firewall) and on a W2K (4.5 @SP1) box as a master server (outside our firewall). When I first started using Netbackup (3.4)2 years ago, I was skeptical on how it would performn on a Solaris box, this was due to lack of knowledge of Solaris in general. However, today I would say go for the Unix solution. Our Solaris server is backing up over 200 clients, we have a master server (e450) and two media servers (e420) doing all the backups. This is backing up just over 5 Tbytes in 15 hours (full backups) on 18 drives. Doinf some capacity planning, sar, I can see that my processors are under utilized and can grow to almost 2.5 times what I am currently backing up. My only limitation is the library which has 600+ slots and a maximum of 20 drives. I would need to add another library.

You will find that the Windows solution will require more media servers since there is a limit as to how many tape drives Windows can support. As far as the issues on W2K with the older version, my external backup system was just recently converted to 4.5 and we had no problems on 3.4 for almost 2 years. Just make sure you keep up to date with the patches.

[thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back