Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbackup Slow Restore From Windows to Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
This question refers to Netbackup V3.4 or V4.5 Business Server. When ever I do a backup from a client Solaris 8 to a Server NT 4.0 takes a reasonable time which i could live with, but when you do a restore to Solaris 8 from Nt 4.0 takes triple the time of a backup would take. If someone could give an insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hey philpe thanks for the help first off. I have atcually tried lowering tcp_deferred_ack_interval down to 20 and it didn't do anything. i have the client (solaris 8) and server (Nt 4.0) running at 100/FD... Do you have any other suggestion that i could try.

Thanks again :)

Hi Blockguy,

Not sure, that one seemed to help quite a bit with our problem, except that our restore was taking way more then 3 times the backup time. Our Backups were taking about 1 1/2 hours to do, and when I first tried the restore, it took over 24 hours to complete. When I changed the settings on the solaris system the restore took about 3 to 4 hours to complete. It may just be the way it is, while I was doing research on the Veritas site for my problem I kept coming across articles about how restores generally take 2 to 3 times longer then backups. Depending on how you backed it up also makes a big difference. Using multiplexing can really slow you down during a restore. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Phil

Hi Blockguy

I experienced the very same problem and this is related to the follow paramters.
NET_BUFFER_SZ
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_RESTORE
see technote: mail me if need to know more mailto:ahmedy.haniff@t-systems.co.za

I had the same problem restoring from a W2k NetBackup DataCenter 3.4.1 server to a Linux Red Hat 7.1 client. It takes 39 hours to restore the machine.
You know there a lot of parameters you can change to improve restoring.
I get the best results changing NET_BUFFERS_SZ and SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS to 64 KB, and NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS to 16,
the same restore now take 3 h. 12 min.
It´s OK for my environment, but you have to try changing parameters to get your own best times.
Try reading
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back