Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbackup : how to force more than one interface ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnaotco

Technical User
Nov 10, 2004
GB
Hello,
We currently use a media server with 3 network interfaces and so we use the REQUIRED_INTERFACE parameter in our bp.conf to specify by which interface the backups must use. But for a new project we need to backup some new servers by another network interface.
Is there someone who know if it's possible to specify a list for the REQUIRED_INTERFACE ? I searched in all the documentations I have and on the Veritas Support site and I didn't find anything.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Ben

Versions used : Netbackup 5.0MP5 on solaris

If I can get away with it... I wouldn't use "REQUIRE_INTERFACE" in bp.conf. Just manipulate the hosts files to poing the clients to the proper interace...

We've got 3 interfaces X.X.9.X, X.X.12.X and X.X.44.X
The X.X.9.X is our default interface and must be the default for business needs. The X.X.12.X is our first backup interface and the X.X.44.X the second one.
The problem is we have some clients that have only an interface in X.X.9.X but this network is reachable via the X.X.12.X so if we don't specify a REQUIRED_INTERFACE to force it on the backup interface (X.X.12.X), Netbackup will use the default interface on the server. So it seems difficult to play with the /etc/hosts to solve the problem.

Hi,

I suggest the following solution pls try it, if master and media server is same it works in our env.:

media server interfaces:
1. x.x.A.x / /etc/hosntame.ce0 - media-a in /etc/hosts
2. x.x.B.x / /etc/hostname.ce1 - media-b
3. x.x.C.x / /etc/hostname.ce2 - media-c

media: /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf media_server=media-a

clients on A subnet:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf
MEDIA_SERVER=media-a

clients on B subnet:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf
MEDIA_SERVER=media-b

clients on C subnet: