Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbackup Error codes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cweston2004

Programmer
Nov 6, 2007
US
I am new to NetBackup and am having some issues. Recently we switched out the two tapes we are backing up our files to with blank tapes. Since then I have been getting error code 96 (unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available) on the first attempt at manually backing up a policy and the error code 86 (media position error) on the second attempt and every attempt afterwards at backing up the same policy.

I have verified with available_media that the media id is in the correct volume pools and that the state is active and not frozen or suspended. Restarting the netbackup daemon causes me to get the 96 error code again.

Can anyone help me out?

is this a autoloader or a stand alone lib?
Can you try some different media?
Any errors on the drives?
Have you reset the drives?

This can also happen if your media definitions do not match. I had this happen to me when the media was imported it imported it as a different media type then whet the storage unit or tape drive was expecting.The Media Type, in the Media View, has to match the Drive Type (Media & Device Management, Devices, and then the drive tab on the right pane), which in turn has to match the Storage Unit density. In our case we have our media type set to hcart2. If the media type does not say "hcart2" for all three areas, NBU will report no media. As a newbie I encountered this problem and banged my head for a while, then I discovered my tape definitions had been set incorrectly in the Inventory Robot. Now, several years later, after checking to make sure my media is not all frozen or suspended, I also go ahead and make sure my media type is consistent in these three areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back