Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetBackup Catalog Wont fit on a tape!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgrntldVeritasUser

Technical User
Oct 6, 2003
US
I have been searching the archives and cannot find any info on what to do if your catalog backup will not fit on one tape?

Also im not even certain that the data will not fit on the tape but the size of the catalog would reflect this as being the error and not the error code 84 that we have started receiving.

Multiple media have been used for the catalog backup and all fail with error code 84. There are not any distinct messages in the bptm log.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

The explanation can get pretty involved so I suggest reading chapter 4 in the system admin guide that should be on the installation CD. It's a pretty good explanation.

Ifd you can't get to the installation CD where all the documents are located, then I suggest downloading the pdf files from VERITAS

About the error 84 ..."media write error" can be deceiving. perhaps its not the media but the I/O
check to authenticate the correct filename structure.
If you are backing up the master on the master's drive then you can just use the absolute filepath.
If you are backing up on another server then you include the servername before the pathname.
Check the device path to the drive. Perhaps its incorrect.

Hope that helps.

Bob Stump
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

Check the veritas site. There is a procedure for when the Db will not fit on a single tape.

The Db can also be compressed so look into that with veritas-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back