Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetBackup 6.5 Media Type for Cleaning tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

hswipf

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2006
US
I'm just learning Netbackup but some of the simplest things don't seem too intuitive. I put 47 new LTO3 tapes and an LTO cleaning tape into my 48 tape storagetek library and ran the Configure Volume wizard to configure them into the library pools. I could find no way to designate which pools the tapes went into or what kind of media they are. All tapes went into the NetBackup pool. I right clicked on the cleaning tape and put it into the None pool (as I saw cleaning tapes on some of our other servers). Netbackup shows that it is HCART3 media instead of HC3_CLN as cleaning tapes are on our other servers.
1) Is None the right vol. pool to put the cleaning tape in?
2) Can you specify the media type prior to or while updating the volume pools using the wizard?
3) How do you change the Media Type to HC3_CLN so Netbackup knows it a cleaning tape?

hswipf,

1. Yes, I believe None is the correct volume pool.
2. If you use barcode rules I believe you can specify that.
3. vmchange -new_mt media_type -m <media id>

Hope that helps.

John

By the way, I think the media type you want to use is hcart3_clean.

John

1. Yes, I believe None is the correct volume pool.
Correct
2. If you use barcode rules I believe you can specify that.
Yep
3. vmchange -new_mt media_type -m <media id>
Yep, media type should xxx_clean

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back