Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netbackup 4.5 retiring a media server

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmartin3108

Technical User
May 15, 2008
GB
Hi from a noob.

We have a Solaris 8 based Netbackup 4.5 master server in our primary datacenter. We also have a Win2K based 4.5 media server in a remote secondary datacenter that backs up about six clients.

We are about to start the process of upgrading to 6.5 and as a first step it has been decided to migrate the six clients in our secondary datacenter onto an existing master server in that datacentre. Thats the easy part. I then have to retire that old win2k media server thus making the upgrade in our primary datacenter that bit easier since we will only have a master server to worry about. We intend to import the existing tapes from the media server into the catalog of the master server in the secondary datacenter.

My question is this. How do I remove references to the media server from the master server in our primary datacenter? I expect that the catalog there will contain references to tapes in the secondary which we will no longer need. Also, as part of the 6.5 upgrade the NBCC utility seems to communicate with that secondary media server to check its catalog. With that server retired I don't want NBCC to fail because of a server that no longer exists.

Just for clarification, the master server in our secondary datacentre is a completely separate entity from the one in our primary datacenter. There are no relationships between the two, nor do we wish there to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back