Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetApp not doesn't free space

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny99

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
DK
Hi

I have a friend who has a very strange problem with the NetApp box at work.

He is telling me that it just keeps filling up, and that it seems to him that the box doesn't reclaim space that has been used.

At the moment they add storage at a cost of around USD 150.000 every second week just to keep the system running.

I don't know anything about NetApp and he also doesn't so I hope someone can give me a hint that can help him.

/johnny

What so you mean by "just keeps filling up"? Do LUNs presented to hosts keep filling with data? Is snap reserve space decreasing?

Hope your buddy has more info that that if they spent that much on their system :(

I'd hope he'd look at the SnapReserve, how many snapshots are being taken?

Remember, with a NetApp system, its definitley smart to stay under 90% capacity... I've seen them run up to 99% filled ( and amazingly, people complained!heheh)...

But your buddy needs to get a better understand of what's going on with his storage besides it's 'filling up '..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back