Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netapp NOOB - Just looking to understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErrolDC2

MIS
Apr 6, 2005
US
I'm doing some analysis of storage in an environment and I'm reviewing some data for a few Netapp filers. I was hoping to gain some understanding from the group here on a few data points that I don't really get. I've personally not worked with Netapp devices before so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I've linked a file to a server that has some sample data from the environment.

So a couple of questions here:

Are aggr's different than volumes? If yes, how so?
What is the fsMirrorStatus? Is it normal for some to be invalid?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

an aggregate consist of raid groups ( 1 or more ).A raid group contains disks.Each raid group consists of 1 or 2 parity disks ( depending of your raidtype you have chosen) and a bunch of data disks.The number of disks within a raidgroup is defined by the value for the aggregate option "raidsize".By default this is set to 14.
At this time you have an aggregate, which is like a big bunch of storage.Now you build you volumes within this aggregate,you can compare an aggregate as a container which houses volumes.
the fsMirrorstatus in your doc has 2 values, being normal and invalid.You see that normal is at the aggregate level, and invalid at volume.This is normal, as mirroring occurs at aggregate level.( done with the command aggr mirror).

Hope this clarifies some of your questions

kind rgds,

R.

The default RAID DP RAID group size when using FC disk is 16. With SATA, it's 8.

The basic building block it the RAID group, which you combine to create aggregates. An aggregate can be thought of as a pool of disk. From that pool, you carve Flexvols, and flexvols contain LUNs (and the snapreserve and space reserve)

See:

@xmsre : default raidgroup size for fas2000 ontap 724L1 is 14,for drivetypes sas,fcal and sata as well.If you change the DP to raid4 raidsize becomes 7 by default ...

On the r100, 150, AND 200 IT'S 14. On the 2000 series, it's 16 for FC and SAS, and 14 for SATA using RAID DP. It used to be 8, be we raised that in 7G. I work mainly with the 3000 and 6000 series these days. Sad, but since we released the 2000 series I haven't had all that much hands on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back