Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NETAPP firmware on Seagate drives - revert to generic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amourfou

Programmer
Oct 12, 2007
US
We have replaced an older NETAPP RAID system with an updated one.

But the Seagate 146 GB drives are still decent drives, although we had to recycle the enclose itself.

Is it possible to overwrite the NETAPP firmware with the generic Seagate firmware, which I do have?

I tried on another, older drive and I was not successful. It appears that NETAPP prevents you from over-writing the firmware with anything but their own microcode, although I have had success reverting the firmware with other manufacturer's firmware.

Outside of a filer I'm not sure how you would do it.

If the disk is in a shelf in a filer, and your ontap version is 6.0 or later you can update firware with the disk_fw_update command. Firmware is stored in the etc/disk_fw directory and names of the files are in the convention X225_ST336704FC.NA02.LOD where the first part is the product, the second the revision number and the third the .LOD extention. If you have an OME version of the firmware, it probably looks like "0005 OEM 15K4 SCSI.lod" So rename it with a oneup the revision and put it in the etc/disk_fw directory, then do disk_fw_update.

You can use Seatools to change the drive firmware back to the original firmware which you said that you do have. Just attach the shelf to an HBA and launch Seatools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back