Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netapp FAS270 and managed switch 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTmon

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2001
US
Hi, I have a netapp FAS270 using iSCSI. I have trunking set up with 2 gigabit connections to a managed switch. The question is, do I need to set up a lag on the managed switch?
Thanks,
pt

putting the "new" in "newb".....

Thanks for the PDF link, it has some great info. I don't see anything about the connection on the other end though. I'll set up a lag tonight on the switch and see if it improves or degrades performance.

If you create a VIF interface on the FAS270 you need to create a LAG group / etherchannel trunk on the network switch.

Hi Rols,
I did combine both gig-e ports into a vif, and set up lag group for those two ports in the switch. From what I understand, the lag group is only necessary for data from the switch to the NetApp to be load balanced. The data from the NetApp to the switch will be load balanced regardless.

(This is somewhat dependent upon the switch and NetApp using the same method of load balancing.)

Yea as far as load balancing accross interfaces goes it depends on what type of VIF you setup the options are: Single (no load balancing-failover only), Multi (Load balancing), LACP(Load Balancing).

I prefer to use LACP but you need to ensure that the switch supports LACP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back