Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetApp FAS250 vs. Adaptec 550 NAS dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.

seveee

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2006
US
My company is about to expand our IT center and we have been directed by several different vendors on either the NetApp FAS250 or the Adapatec 550. We have a $22,000 budget and wanted to accomplish centralized data inlcuding 2 Sequel databases as well as a tighter backup solution by attaching an LTO tape backup off the NAS and doing snapshots. I expect to hang 3 application servers off of the NAS and have them access the Sequel databases via iSCSI. My question becomes which is the better choice... from a technical perspective? I know the Adaptec is cheaper, but I don't want to short change ourselves. We currently need about 700 Gig to 1 Tb of storage and that could grow in the next 6 months based on new business. One vendor says the iSCSI will cause a performance hit and the other disagrees and says do with a Gigabit backbone b/t the NAS and servers.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

1.With iScsi, have gigabit, preferrably dedicated and jumbo frames enabled, so no performance drop will occur.
2.A netapp FAS270 single, with 144 Gb disks will offer you the space you need,even in the fas270c you will have the space you need, getting extra redundancy because it's clustered.
3.With a fas270, you have an FC port, so you can attach a FC tape device.
4.When you talk netapp , you say snapshot :)

rgds,

R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back