Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetApp 3020 20TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharkol1

MIS
Mar 4, 2003
US
Hi _

I am looking into a NA3020c to be the home of 5TB of cifs data and plan on scaling this to 20TB by 08. I was interested to see how others are backing this amount of data up(20TB). Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

1. On the filer - snapshots on primary storage
2. Disk to disk - snapmirror or snapvault to secondary ATA storage.
3. Disk to tape - NDMP copy to tape of snapmirror or snapvault target qtree with NDMP compatible backup program (newer version of veritas netbackup comes to mind)

1 When you allocate space for a volume on a filer you allocate the primary space, a space reservation equal to 100% pr primary space to ensure that no matter how many snaps are in place you can still write to new space, and a snap reservation which is space for the changed blocks. It's important to know how volitale your data is, or your change delta, to be able to determine how much space to reserve for snapshots.

2 Snapmirror makes an exact replica of the source volume, including snapshots, on a destination volume. If you remove a snap from primary storage, it is also removed from the snapmirror replica. Snapvault, vaults a copy of the current volume. THe vault contains what was on primary storage when the vaulted copy was created. Both snapmirror and snapvault only replicate change data after the initial baseline replication. Snapmirror is intended as a mirroring tool. Snapvault is intended as a backup solution or tape replacement.

3. From either primary storage, a snapmirror destination, or a snapvault target qtree, you can use ndmp copy to roll the data to tape.

On the 3020 frame, you can have both FC and SATA shelves. Your primary and secondary storage can exist on the same frame. This makes sense if you plan to minimize the number of snapshots (and the space occupied by them) on primary FC disks and vault the data to secondary (cheaper) SATA disk. If you gou this route you would do something like a snapshot every hour on primary storage and size the snap reserve for 1 day's change delta. You would snapvault to secondary SATA disk several days work of change delta (in addition to the baseline. FOr example:

My change delta is 10%. I have 5TB of live data with a 100% space reservation and 10% snap reserve on primary, 10.5TB. On secondary, I have 5TB baselin + 5TB space reservation plus 70% snap reserve, or 13.5 TB on SATA. On primary storage I can go back 1 day at 1 hour increments. On secondary storage I can go back 7 days. Now, if I ndmp copy to tape from secondary storage, after 7 days, I go to tape for recovery.

Thank you for this information. This is what I was thinking and seems to be an extremely expensive solution.

don't go with a single 20TB volume ? :) You can sleep knowing you've got SnapShots.. maybe vault them to another NetApp system then backup them up simply/easily with no time constraints? :)

Remember, the FAS currently only goes to 16TB volumes... just plan out your volumes from the get/go... restoring from tape in crisis is the ugly part :( ( ie., hence the snapvault!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back