Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NET VIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2002
US
Why would the Net View command take so long to respond? and why would a computer be unable to a computer such as: \\computera when I am able to do a ping computera successfully?

brian

I can ping the remote machine, but cannot connect to it. I just tried to connect thru "net use \\xxxxx, but that comes back with "network path not found." But I know the machine is up and running and I can even successfully ping it through the VPN tunnel. At another site, I can ping and connect to that machine. Both run windows 2k pro. Im am totally confused what the problem is. If I check the WINS server all the machines register.

brian

Dns or Wins Server on the network?

arp -a pops to mind but I can't remember if that will help or not.
-------------------------------
MCSE in training.
Currently I've gone through the following books:
70-210 Win2K Professional
70-215 Win2K Server

WINS is currently running. ARP -a shows what arp address are resolved in cache...whether it builds that list from WINS is deeper and unknown to me

brian

Couple of things to do to figure this out . . . .

First, you said you can ping through the tunnel. Which ip are you pinging? The VPN server's address on the remote network or the VPN server's VPN address (the server address in the details section of the VPN status box)? Report your results with both. If one or the other doesn't work, report the error you get (no route to host, destination unreachable, timed out, etc).

Next, when you try 'net view \\xxxxx' are you using the computer name or the ip? Try it with the ip, ie 'net view \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' Try both server addresses and report results.

If net view works with an ip, you're having trouble with netbios name resolution. Try 'nbtstat -c'. That prints the netbios name cache. You will get a listing for each adapter, including the virtual adapter for the VPN. Make sure the computer you are trying is listed in the section for the VPN adapter. Also, each host will be listed more than once, as a separate entry is made for each service on the host. Report back and maybe you can get an (educated?) guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back