Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.net user controls and Div modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouwob

Programmer
Apr 12, 2006
US
I am using an asp.net user control. The control contains 2 divs that need to be shown/hidden. I cannot use getElementbyID since the dive name is auto generated for each control.

This is the HTML in the user control

Code:
    <a href="#" onclick="hideFilter(this);return false;" class="Filter">Filter</a>&nbsp;
    <div [B]id="FilterDiv"[/B] title="FilterDiv" runat="server" class="ControlDivs" style="DISPLAY:none;width:360px">
        <hr class="hrHides" />
        <asp:Label ID="lblCriteria" runat="server" Text="Criteria"></asp:Label>
        <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
        <asp:Button ID="btnFilter" runat="server" Text="Filter" OnClick="btnFilter_Click" />
        <asp:Button ID="btnClear" runat="server" Text="Clear/Reset" OnClick="btnClear_Click" /><br />
        <hr class="hrHides" />
    </div>
    <asp:panel id="pnlAdd" runat="server" visible="false">
    <a href="#" onclick="hideFilter(this);return false;" class="Filter">Add</a>&nbsp;
    <div [B]id="AddDiv"[/B] title="AddDiv" runat="server" class="ControlDivs" style="DISPLAY:none;width:360px">
        <hr class="hrHides" />
        Please enter the value you would like to add<br />        
        <asp:TextBox ID="txtAddition" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>
        <asp:Button ID="btnAdd" runat="server" Text="Add" onclick="btnAdd_Click" />
        <hr class="hrHides" />
    </div>

The 2 pieces bolded above when generated look like this ctl00_cphMain_wizRegisterNew_fltrPlatform_FilterDiv and ctl00_cphMain_wizRegisterNew_fltrCategory_pnlAdd

since user controls can be used more than once on a page the names are autogenerated. Unfortunatly I have no way of getting the autogenerated name in time to set the html correctly.

So I guess what I really need is how do I access the next element (the div) after the one calling it.

I have been looking at the DOM tree but have been unsuccesful so far on makeing it work.

Here is the not working javascipt that I am currently sitting on.

Code:
        function hideFilter(me)
        {
		    var e = me.nextSibling;
		    if(e.style.display == 'none')
		    e.style.display = 'block';
		    else
		    e.style.display = 'none';
        }

I have unsuccessfully attempted chilnode, parentnode, previoussibling, nextsibling, and a bunch of combinations of all of the above.

Can someone point me to how this can be acchived????

What if you drop in a div inside that div and give that an id?
Example would be
Code:
<div id="OrderSummaryDiv" runat="server" Visible="false">
    <div id="clientsidediv">
         somestuff
    </div>
</div>

Or maybe you can just give that div a class and get the element by class name?
script code
Code:
divs = documnet.getElementsByTagName("div");
for(var 1 = 0, i<divs.length,i++){
   if(div[i].className = "uniqueDivId"){
     alert("i finds it!");
   }
}
html
Code:
<div id="retarded_generated_dotnetcontrol_id" class="uniqueDivId"
</div>

Also are you sure the generated div id always changes?
sometimes it stays the same and u can just document.getElementsById("really_crappy_dotnetgenerantedposid")

to get your element.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back