Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Net Use Command Prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyJoB

Technical User
Nov 20, 2006
US
net use P: \\PORTAGE\B /USER:John Brown 143r56

I can't get this command to work, can anyone help?

I have the computer PORTAGE in my home network.
I have a Drive Mapping Letter L to a folder named B on PORTAGE
The user name on PORTAGE is John Brown and 143r56 is the password.

If I click on L:\portage\b in Windows Explorer I enter John Brown and password and connect without problem. But I have to do it every time I boot. I'd like to get it to work in a .BAT file I run at startup.

Thank you, Jim

...which was to try putting the username in quotes, like [tt]/USER:"John Brown"[/tt]

... and use the /savecredentials and /persistent switches to prevent the need for a batch file each logon. (See Net use usage here.)

Alternatively, in an Explorer window, choose Map network drive... from the Tools menu and map the drive with the Reconnect at logon checkbox selected. It's the same as using the /savecredentials and /persistent switches and just has to be done the once.

postimage.org
mapdrive.jpg
[/url]

Hope this helps...

Guitarzan: I think the quotes will work. Thank you, I have periodically tried for 3 years to get this.

I connected to 2 other computers in my workgroup. One worked, the other got Error 85 Device already in use, or something.

Yet, when the .bat file completed, both drives are connected?? Without this .bat file neither is connected? Any thoughts on this?

Rick998: Thank you, I have had the drives mapped with Reconnect at Login, howwever because of the password required, I still have to connect with NET USE or manually via Windows Explorer.

Thanks again. Jim

Portage, MI???

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

No. Anderson, SC

Portage is a model of Toshiba.

Jim

Parameters with spaces need to be enclosed in quote marks for command line use.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

It's not Portage, it's Portégé or Portege, it is spelled both ways on Toshiba's web site.

Ha, I was just going to post that too, but as usual - one step ahead of me.
Toshiba Portégé® Laptop Computers | Toshiba

Gals & Guys the NETBIOS/WINS name of a network machine isn't necessarily the same as the laptop model name, the network admin might be into boats (Portage is carrying boats, ships or cargo over land to the next body of water) and named the network nodes using shipping parlance.

I prefered Mythological deities, the mail servers were HERMES and MERCURY and the MD's machine was HADES.

Who says network geeks don't have a sense of humour [2thumbsup]

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I said, "Portage, MI??" - spelled correctly.
OP said:
Portage is a model of Toshiba.
So OP misnamed his own device!!! Laughter ensues. Geeks laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back