Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.NET update keeps prompting to be installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aking

Technical User
Aug 11, 2002
GB
Hi,
I have a physical server running windows server 2003 64bit.
Recently it constantly prompts me to install 1 critical windows update (kb2742596) which is an update for .NET 2.0 SP2.
I have installed this update about 4 or 5 times. Each time i get the window saying update was installed successfully and no reboot is required. 5 minutes later the yellow shield is back in systray asking me to install the same update. I had a look at the WindowsUpdate.log - kb2742596 has installed many times since the 9th of january 2013. I had a lot of errors ending in 0x80190194 and also many occurrences of this error: "EEHndlr WARNING: Failed to populate ServiceStartup entries in Cache: error 0x80070002"
But between all the errors it looked like every time this update was installed it was successful - or at least reported as a success:

AutomaticUpdates Success Content Install Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP for x64-based Systems (KB2742596)
2013-01-11 11:41:53:607 376 11e8 Handler : Command line install completed. Return code = 0x00000000, Result = Succeeded, Reboot required = false

Anyway i have resolved the errors in the WindowsUpdate.log but i am still in a loop with this update.
Todays log entries have no errors, windows update has installed the update twice (successfully), and i have the yellow shield back in systray asking me to install update kb2742596.... :-(

Any suggestions of how to proceed would be very welcome.
Note: this is a production server that runs a lot of things and i have to be careful with it, so radical solutions (i.e. reformat the hard drive and start again) are out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back