Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

net send commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakess

Technical User
Apr 17, 2000
ZA
when we send net send to the whole domain certain users do not get these messages.
i have checked the TCP-IP settings and services but don't see anything wrong [sig][/sig]

are you sure that messenger service is started on the machines that don´t recieve messages?
[sig]<p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

To add to Nostradamus:

On NT/2K machines, make sure the messenger service is running

On 9x machines, make sure winpopup is running.
Jeff
masterracker@hotmail.com

If everything seems to be going well: you don't have enough information.......

masterracker:
If I run the net send command from our NT server, win9x machines will recieve those as long as they have winpopup running?
That would be super.

I´ve wondered how to send messages to users running win9x about server restarts and so on.

This I got to try.

Nostradamus

just to add to the topic, maybe a new thread...
We are getting an error of &quot;network resource not found on network&quot; or something like that. NT4 environment.
Messenger service running, and can ping machine, but no pop-ups for message.
Thought it was a WINS resolution thing, but gives same message when doing by IP.
? anongod@hotmail.com

&quot;Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.&quot;

net send relies also on wins, validate that the missing users are showing up in the wins database.

We had problems with that and finally realized it happened when users are logged onto the network two or more times simultaneously. Messages appeared on their first logon instance only. There is definitely a MS knowledge base article on it. Try searching Google.com or msdn.com for &quot;tcp/ip net send windows nt&quot; or something similar.

Good luck!

correct me if I am wrong, but can't net send commands only work on the subnet your machine is on?

-Brett

Hey - wondering if anyone knows a way to prevent people from using 'net send' to spam the entire domain - without implementing a system policy?

IS there any way to intecept a netsend message? Have users using netsend and would like to intercept the message...

Hey everybody,

got a question... Can you net send anonymously, so they can't trace from which computer it's from? Well, that's it... Hope y'all can help me out...

Bye bye :)

Is there a simple way to have the name of the user who's logged in appear in the &quot;message from&quot; bit of the net send? I now how to get the username using %username% but can it be displayed.

Thanks

A lot of questions there.

I just want to add my experience.

We are using quota advisor to netsend messages when users reach mailfile limits.

Our notes server is in a seperate domain.
Crossing domains with a NetSend gave considerable grief until we rebuilt the trust relationship (fully two way).

Despite the adice given in /? it is not nessecary to use the domain name as a parameter. We do not have any resolutions working between the domains so I'm not sure how it works but I'm not going to investigate it lest it takes fright.

Net send &quot;user_name&quot; &quot;important message......&quot;

is getting accross domains.

As to the user who asked about using some wildcards to put users names in I Wish. Quota advisor macros wont work in the &quot;command to execute&quot; dialog. We hired a kid to sit there for 5 days going through each &quot;command to execute&quot; and typing in the username....poor guy was bug eyed after that
Paul O'Connor
damhna@hotmail.com

I'm looking to enable my net send, it was working. my boss disbaled it to challenge me (for fun). my messenger service is started, i even stopped it and restarted it. nada. can anyone give me any funtips?

IS there any way to intecept a &quot;netsend message&quot; ? Have users using netsend and would like to intercept the message....

Is there any way to stop the &quot;net send message&quot; service for the users ?

I would like to know the net command that lists the processes on server and IP address of users running or connected to the process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back