Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.NET Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

tharrell1

MIS
Sep 26, 2002
US
I have quite a few users are experiencing a pop up window titled It asks for the user to login with a .NET Passport or register for one. It does not seem to be related to Messenger, as I have disabled Messenger on the effected systems. The most annoying thing about this message is that when it pops up you close it but it opens right back up. This happens three times then it goes away, only to come back a while later. The users are not browsing the Internet or working in any specific applications. One might be in Outlook, while another is in Auto-Cad. This whole .NET Passport is worse than any Spam or any Tele-Marketer. Thanks for any advice you might have.

T

You were almost right the frist time , you will need a net passport if you are using messenger. Deleting messenger will also make your outlook express take about a minute to start up if you are using. If you decide to put on messenger again, each user most be logged in as administator,then download net passport and then messsenger,(keep record of passwords) then change user to limited if needed. Only warning I can offer is to read carefully as you will receive email authorizations from microsoft via links that must be clicked on to verify email address. When you first loaded Windows XP your user had an messenger icon in the status bar that was not signed in. Your popups came as a result of microsoft wanting you to sign in for messenger.
Welcome to XP and no thanks to microsoft.

is not a valid web site as far as I can ascertain. It seems to be something to do with perhaps building a web site or web page, actually I'm not sure what it is. This link mentions it a bit.

If it is connected with .Net Passport, this link will get you contact with .Net Passport and there is a drop down menu with options to close account and general help.

You can search here too.

msncommunities is where Microsoft hosts their newsgroups. I do not think that this is actually directly related to .NET Passport or Messenger. These users have not registered for a passport nor do they want to. We use Exchange messaging on our Network so the users do not need a passport. This also is not the usual balloon that you get the first 5 times that you log on to an XP machine, asking you to sign up for Messenger. This is an actual logon Window.

Have a look at this and see if there is any action you can take via available options.

Type control userpasswords2 in the Run Box. Click on Advanced / Manage Passwords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back