Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Net logon causes slow login on IBM Thinkcentre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valier

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2003
SE
Hi

I run a computer rental business, and we handle lots of different computers. Normally we fix most problems ourselves, but now we have encountered a windows LAN logon problem with IBM Thinkcentre PC:s. And we have several, so we need to get it fixed.
They are about two-three years old, and we haven´t met this before, so it may be related to a recent windows update.
OS is XP Pro, and server OS is Server 2000.

The login process is way too long, five to ten minutes...or longer.
We notice that when we turn "net logon service" off, it runs very fast, but obviously in some networks that service is needed. We have tried it in two different LAN:s with same result. Also tried to put in another network card, without progress. None of our other several hundred computers have this problem, so it seems it is hardware related...or?

Where to start looking?

Mike, Stockholm

When this happens, do you see anything in the Event Viewer of these PCs?
If this is a service or hardware issue then you will probably see something in Event Viewer that could lead you in the right direction.

Are any of these pc's trying to connect to network shares that do not exist?

Also do a search both on this site and google for slow login windows xp. There is a ton of information available.

Hmm, now looking into event viewer with or without Net Logon.

PC might actually look for network shares that don´t exist... But I don´t understand why that would affect only these PCs, and no one else in the LANs.

I have googled, but maybe I´ve put too much stress on Net Logon in my searches, so haven´t found too much edible info.

I´ll be back.

I would review the Event Viewer but PRPhx is right. If the login is trying to map drives that are not available on the network then each item would have to time out before moving to the next item in the login script. So it could slow things down.

You could put your batch file on the desktop and put a pause after each line and run the file to see if you can troubleshoot what is slowing this down. Just a suggestion.

OK, we are trying everything now.

We found a "clean" computer out of the pile, without the latest windows updates. That is SP 2. It starts up just fine and dandy. As quick as it should.
With Net Logon activated.

The other ones are slow even with network card disabled and not cable connected, and even when not logging in to a domain, just plain local computer.

So we are now updating the clean PC, to see when it goes bad.
It seems like a newer driver or file is the problem.

Will get back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back