Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.net equivelent of a listbox with the moverbar enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluteplr

Programmer
Oct 23, 2000
US
This is more of a .net question but I am hoping someone who does vfp and .net will have an answer for this. I am looking for a .net control (commercial 3rd party is fine) that has the same functionality as a VFP listbox with the mover bars turned on. We are doing a conversion and we use the VFP listbox to allow the users to set a custom sort order for short lists. For example setting a list of purchases in priority order.

The VFP "mover" list box is an odd-ball component. I've never seen any other that works the same. What I have seen is two command buttons, one for "move up", the other for "move down" placed below the list box. The buttons move the selected item up or down in the list.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

Hi Craig, its Jacob. Yeah I was coming to that conclusion. It was just so handy for having users reorder short lists that I was hoping someone had done it. Thanks.

Jay

Jay,

Not only do I agree with Craig, but I would add that I've never considered the VFP-style mover to be particularly friendly or intuitive.

I would recommend that you either create, or look for, a different style of movable listbox, such as one with up and down buttons like what Craig described. (There are many examples of this in Crystal Reports, and most users seem to find it intuitive.)

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

fluteplr

I use a grid with a listbox appearance combined with a command button group, cmdTop, cmdUp, cmdDown and cmdBottom, arranged vertically alongside the grid.

The command button group allows you to move a record to top, up, down or bottom.

The code for a command button is based on the following snippit for cmdUp
Code:
[COLOR=blue]SKIP -1 IN (lcAlias)
SCATTER NAME loNext

SKIP 1 IN (lcAlias)
SCATTER NAME loThis

GATHER NAME loNext

SKIP -1 IN (lcAlias)
GATHER NAME loThis[/color]

FAQ184-2483​
Chris [pc2]
PDFcommander.com