Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.NET calendar pop-up on asp page...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlandymore

Technical User
Dec 26, 2003
US
Hi,

I'm trying to make a page out of asp that will use a calendar popup when the date field is clicked.

Basically it's the same thing as you would see here:

When you click in the 'departure date' field a calendar popup comes to life.

Can anyone tell me how this is done? Is it possible in .NET because the built-in calendar option looks terrible...

That popup calendar is just javascript and HTML. The important part is that the javascript writes back the selected value to the textbox. Provided you had a javascript calendar to use that worked like that you could use it with ASP, ASP.Net, CFM, PHP, CGI, whatever. It's completely client-side.

BTW, this is actually the ASP (3.0) forum, you may want to try the ASP.Net forum and see if anyone has already got a good one put together: forum855

barcode_1.gif

Just my opinion, but I think that an on-page calendar is much better than a popup.
You can take the code for a popup calendar and convert it to be shown/hidden in an absolute positioned div rather than popped up in a new window. You can use the offset values of the src element that calls it to position the calendar relative to the field you want it related to.

You end up with a calendar that pops OPEN on the page you are already displaying so it is not a new window and does not have problems with popup blockers. As an absolute positioned element it can float right over top of other page elements and does not permanently take up screen space.

My $.02 It just comes out cleaner (in my opinion) and is less prone to outside interference.

Stamp out, eliminate and abolish redundancy!

The DynArch DHTML/Javascript Calendar is the best popup javascript calendar I know of (it uses divs, not windows, so popup blockers don't affect it). It's easy to use, flexible and skinnable. The quick start guide for the impatient gives usable examples.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back