Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.NET, C# how much differences from C++

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskey

Vendor
Aug 23, 2002
GB
Hi,

Can anyone please tell me what is the difference between Visual C++.NET and Visual C, Visual C++. What are their main application, for .NET and C#. Please, help!

I would like to help, but don't really understand the question. Can you rephrase your question.

thanks for the reply. sorry for the confusion. I was in the rush when typing the message.

I'd like to find out the difference between VC.NET and Visual C++. I have consulted many people about this. Some of them told me that VC.NET is the high level version of VC++. Is that true?? What are its main application area?? For example, I believe Java is meant to be more user-friendly in internet ( i could be wrong)... I am interested to learn about VC.NET because many experts told me it would replace VC++ in future but, how true is that??? I am abit skeptical about this... Also, is VC.NET still using MFC??? Is Microsoft going to get rid of MFC??

Also, what is C# again? Is it the same as VC.NET?? Basically, I want to learn something after VC++ and I dont know which programming language is better for future use?? For example, there is no point for me to learn Delphi or Pascal, sorry for saying that, since the IT industries are more favour now using C++, Java and others.. I could be wrong again.. Can you please recommend me any language to learn apart of VC++.

please... thanks!

Well, C# and .NET are "hybrid" languages. Unlike "pure" languages like C, C++, etc, they offer specialized services to the application programmer not "explicitly" offered by pure languages in the form of COM objects, ATL add ons, etc. However, a clever C programmer has access to these services as well, he just has to work harder ;-) Like Java, .NET generates bytes right on the spot for the target machine, sort of a self-portable compiler (scary, huh?). Of course with C, C++, you must compile your program with a compiler that generates bytecodes for a given machine. The tradeoff, of course, is less frills but more flexibility. A good analogy might be this: You have a device which requires a special screwdriver. You could purchase one made for that device (.NET), and you know that it will work. Unfortunately, it comes with only one bit so you can't use it for anything else. Then again, you could buy the swiss army screwdriver(C/C++) which can be used for many more applications, but is much harder to configure.
Ok. That's a semi-lame analogy. But you get the point.:-D
My advice would be to learn a pure language first, and then move on to a hybrid. Not only will you be a better programmer, you'll be more valuable as an employee/contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back