Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.NET Application Error with Pervasive on 64-bit 2008 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNGPicard

Technical User
Jun 23, 2003
US
I have a small & simple application written in VB.net 2005 using version 3 of the Pervasive.Data.SQLClient adapter, runtime version 2.0.50727 which I downloaded from the PSQL 10 website.

Code:
Imports Pervasive.Data.SqlClient
Dim DBConn As PsqlConnection
DBConn = New PsqlConnection("ServerDSN=myServerDSN;Server=mydbserver;")
        Try
            DBConn.Open()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show(ex.Message(), "DBConn.Open")
        End Try

In the above snippet, I have changed my dsn and my server name but they match the DSNs on the database server and the DSNs on the local machines exactly.

On my 32-bit client machines, this works fine, the connection opens to the database, no problemo!

On my Windows 2008 servers, I get an exception on the DBConn.Open() --- "Arithemetic operation resulted in an overflow." And a fairly lengthy stack trace.

The application works on Windows Vista Business (32-bit). I do not have a 64-bit Windows 2003 box on which to test or a 2008 box on a 32bit chip in which to test.

Has anybody run across this or have an idea / can point out the silly mistake I'm making?

one more thing:

PSQL 10.10 64-bit Server
the machine with the error is on a PSQL 10.10 64-bit client

What's the exact version of the Pervasive.Data.SqlClient.dll?
I've done some 64 bit work with the provider and haven't had any problems.
How are you compiling the program? What do you have set for the "Platform"? in the "Debug" tab of the project properties?

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Mirtheil -

I got the issue figured out (after many hours of pulling my hair out, checksumming and digging through file system changes). The original Pervasive 10 CD shipped to me was not 10.10, I downloaded 10.10 from the Pervasive website which I used to ugprade my database server and install all my clients. When I installed my Terminal Server I installed the 64-bit client which was unpacked with the rest of what I got from the pervasive website for 10.10. This installed no problem but I didn't have PCC, the utilities etc. So I said I must have clicked the wrong button and installed the 32bit version and got the tools and such; in doing so overwrote the 64-bit dll's I guess. Blah - so this is now really bad. Uninstall and rip everything pervasive out (go go System Restore!) Say OK, let me install off the disk my reseller sent me so I install on my fairly clean install (the checkpoint I restored to was just after the machine was joined to the domain) and get the same thing with the 64-bit client installer from the CD (pre 10.10) thinking for sure the CD will be good and then I'll install the upgrade I downloaded to bring it current. Yeah, no love from the installer. System Restore again. So this time I use the installer I used every place else and install the 32-bit client on the 64bit box the first time, do a custom install and do not install the data access components. Let the 32-bit installer finish THEN go back and run the 64-bit installer using custom; the only install options / configurations I have are the installation paths but nothing else and I guess whatever the 64-bit installer "installs" it adds the stuff necessary for the previously posted code snippets to run.

Very weird but I think its working. My in house .NET utilities are running, the application we use has its btreive stuff working, its classic vb stuff and most of its vb.net portions (but nto sure if all of them are working or not).

I'm still a few days from tyring to rollout the terminal server, I guess I know what my time is goign to be spent on testing!

Mark / TNGPicard

Glad you got it all sorted. One thing to remember with the 64 bit PSQL products. The 64 bit client installs only the 64 bit Btrieve parts. It does not include any utilities, ODBC drivers, or other access methods. The 64 bit Server does include all of those files though. The PSQL Relational engine is only 32 bit.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back